Name: Chin Yi Shing (04)Questions given by lit teacher
1.Why did Leslie die off-stage? I think that Leslie died off-stage because it is pretty impossible for the film to show that Leslie died when she knocked on the creek. The part whereby Leslie died off-stage is actually replaced by the part of the show when Jess is going out for a trip to museum with Miss Edmund. At the start of the story, we will think that both Leslie and Jess are the main characters. Until the part when Leslie died, we can easily tell that only Jess is the main character. From the other point of view, we can know that filming Leslie to be hit and fell into the creek is a dangerous scene. If safety precautions is not taken seriously, Leslie might really die. As the creek is occupied with strong current of rushing water, it may really be dangerous if one fell into it and got flushed away. Overall, I think that the director do not want to take risk in putting someone's life and death in his hand. Thus, that was why I think that Leslie died off-stage.2.Who/What areas the dark lord represent for:
(i)Jess?
In my personal point of view, I think that Mr Aarons is the dark lord that represents Jess. As we can see from the start of the movie, Mr Aarons do not seem to love Jess as much as the three others sisters. Fathers normally dote on the only boy or girl in the family but it is different in Jess' case. Mr Aarons in the movie shows that he scold Jess frequently for that he had done wrong. From what I saw in the movie, Mr Aarons had never praised Jess for doing something right. This actually shows that the love that was showered on Jess is quite limited as compared to the other three sisters.(ii)Leslie?The dark lord that represents Leslie is the fear of being isolated. Being the only child in the family with no siblings, Leslie thus dreads to be alone by herself. No one likes to be feeling lonely and bored. This applies to Leslie as well. Having no one to play with or talk to is a kind of miserable. When you had the urge to talk to someone but you do not have anyone whom you can approach, you will sure feel miserable and sad. Leslie too. In a new surrounding, Leslie will feel strange and she could not adapt to it in a short time. In school, Leslie tried to make new friends and there she is with a good friend like Jess Aarons. With such good friend, I do not think that Leslie will feel miserable for the rest of her life to be afraid that no one would talk to her.(iii)myself ?To me, the dark lord is actually being fear of being praised and scolded. As I feel that when I was praised, I really do not know how to reacted to such situations. I will feel as if I am going to die. At home, when my mum praised me and scolded my siblings, I will feel that I was the cause of the scolding that my siblings received. Therefore, to me, when I was being praised I will often feel that I was the cause of others being scolded or I will feel that others will feel some kind of injustice in between. As for scolding, I really dreads to be scolded as I hate others to be nagging at me. To me, Scolding and nagging are the same. When people scold, they will nag at the same time. Therefore, scolding makes me feel irritated and have the urge to shout out all that I feel. When my mum scold me, she will scold non-stop. Does anyone likes to be scolded at the moment when you wake up to prepare for school? I doubt anyone would. Scolding to me is a kind of conversation in a very bad tone and it will sometimes offend the one who is listening.3.which version do I like better?I liked the movie better as in the movie I can see the reaction and the facial expressions in the various characters'. Unlike movie, the novel is expressionless as we only know the scenario and the rest of the scene is up to us to imagine. As I do not really like to read story books, I feel that movie is more suitable for me as I loved to watch drama series. In my daily life, I admit that I do not really read but rather I watch. I think that watching is a better learning way. In the process of watching, we can learn to imagine better and learn new things and words as there are subtitles at the bottom of the show.
Labels: Chin Yi Shing (Questions given by Ms Jumiah)